I have only been entering CFC for two years after seeing it pop up on Facebook and not knowing much about it. I have since entered the Beef Feeding, Beef Breeding and Whole Farm Classes. In 2018 I came third in the Beef Breeding Class. In 2019 I had a very successful year coming second in the Beef Feeding Class and first in both the Beef Breeding and Farms Under 300 Acres. This led me onto becoming the Reserve Champion in all the winning Farm Classes. This has had a really good impact on the farm business, my own personal and staff morale. It has also driven us on to new things and generated lots of publicity for the Mobberley Angus whilst also building up a network of great farmers.
Since doing so well in these Classes within the Farms Competition it inspired us to go on and enter The Farmers Guardian Competition in 2019 where we came second. We are currently in the final three of the Farmers Weekly Awards with the results due out soon!
I am also an AHDB Strategic Farmer and NFU ambassador. I am proud of how the Mobberley Angus brand has been strengthened and pedigree sales increased. I have Dyslexia and so find some aspects of farming a challenge, such as office work. I make myself do it so I get better. I am really positive about beef farming.
I would say to anyone thinking of entering the Cheshire Farms Competition- just go for it. I have really enjoyed it, a great group of positive people. The Awards evening is fab, it’s a really good night and you’ve got to be in it to win it. It can only do good for your business.
About the farm
- Sucker beef
- Store finisher selling DW.
- Pedigree bull sales
- Sell to ABP.
- Local butchers set own prices builds name/brand
- Upping cow numbers from 70-120 aiming 150
- Feeding at night to calve in day
- CCTV moo call
- Calving data lots. calving ease, condition score, time of calving ,dam docility, birth weight
- Reduced calving from 23 weeks to 12 in 3 years
- Colostrum testing
- Tagging tag test BVD, DNA, EID
- Grass Based
- Rotation grazing
- Egg counts blood tests/instead of routine worming
- Min/bolas £22 a cow to £4.60 a cow
- Out door weaning
- Out wintering
- Reduce cows size 750kg-650kg
- Reduce costs
- Farmplan cattle manger cash focus help reduce work and track costs. looks pro when selling stock. food chain + import kill data very important.
- Mihub set targets track and react when needed
- Permanent fencing check quick easy add value to farm very low running costs very Flexible/versatile
There are a number of businesses and enterprises based at the farm including:
Mobberley Brewhouse, Flaming gourmand BBQ, Wedding Planner, Painter/decorator, Container storage, Wedding field, Carpark
Facebook Ian Norbury
Instagram Ian Norbury